Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ten Questions With A Cool Person: Ben Sharp AKA Cloudkicker

Before we start on this, I have to say that if it wasn't for my great friend James "Flames" Irving, I would have never been able to do this interview and in fact I wouldn't have even known about Cloudkicker. Now that would have been a sad, sad story! 


For the rest of you that may not have heard of Cloudkicker, prepare yourself for something awesome. the first time I ever hear his music my life felt complete for a moment. I had never really given instrumental a proper chance until James ranted on about this guy, now I know why.


For one person to write such tasty music, and so much of it, takes a lot of time and a lot of skill. Every song has its own little story told through the music, and to me that makes it more powerful than anything.
If you haven't yet heard Cloudkicker, I suggest you give it a try, you never know what you might like... Play the track below while you read – two birds, one stone! 


Cadillac (C): Everyone I have played Cloudkicker to has loved it, no matter what their musical interest. What made you decide to write the music you do?
Cloudkicker's latest releas, Beacons


Ben (B): There wasn't ever any conscious decision to write the way I do. If anything, it evolved from actively listening to all the different types of music that I've been fascinated with at various times over the past ten years or so, and then sort of incorporating them in odd ways.








C:  When Ben Sharp is not Cloudkicker, what is he?


B: A dude that tries to maintain a healthy curiosity and skepticism about life.


C: how'd the name come about?


B: It's a reference to Kit Cloudkicker of Tale Spin fame. I don't really know why I chose that name, but I really enjoyed the cartoon when I was a kid and it has a nice ring to it.


C: Who influences you most?


B: Musically I'm in a weird place right now – I'm not really being influenced by any one person or band.


C: Tequila or bong?


B: A glass for Cabernet.


C: I love the fact that your music is freely accessible. Do you think there's a point in fighting the internet community? You can find anything for free on the net...


B: Generally I think that fighting anything is the wrong approach. People typically fight or force things when they don't understand why they find themselves in a certain situation. I think the best approach is to try to understand why things have become that way and then find a way to use that momentum to your advantage.


C: Where is your favourite holiday place?


B: Anywhere with good people and a friendly atmosphere.


C: What instrument is your favourite to play?


B: Well I'm best at guitar, but drums are pretty fun. I don't know, I don't really believe in the idea of a favorite anything. 


C: Slowly more and more instrumental bands are popping up. Why do you think there's this sudden need to scrap the vocalist?


B: I can't speak for others, but for me, I just don't really have a lot to say and I find words to be rather clumsy most of the time, a really narrow avenue of expression. With melody you have a much wider palette in which to express an idea or feeling, and you can communicate on a much deeper level.


C: What is one thing you can't live without?


B: Water...




Check this stuff out. It makes me so happy!


2 comments:

  1. Amazing artist, one of the greatest contributions to my mind. I m very influenced by ben sharp. BEN - if you EVER stop making this gold, the world will end, and i will never forgive you. Keep on making excellence. Would love to read more, Or maybe interview you someday as well.
    Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Guy!
    I'm with you on all that.
    Thanks for reading!

    C

    ReplyDelete