Thursday, March 24, 2011

What. The. Fuck.

So the debate about Die Antwoord's coolness debate in much like that of the PC/Mac one – you either love them, or you don't. I personally feel the latter. This is why.


I first saw Die Antwoord at RAMfest in the Western Cape in 2009. The line-up for that show (one of their first shows as far as I can remember) was such: Yolandi, Ninja, Jack Parow (before he jumped on the lame-rap bandwagon. Although he's not too bad.), Isaac Newton and there may have been another. Pretty much everyone they featured on their debut EP. The show was insane. 
I loved it. But it ended there.


So they began touring, wank, wank, and they became popular and a lot more caught up in this urge to be the most disgusting people ever. A few months later they came to Johannesburg for the first time. Everyone was so excited, like teenage girl excited. But they didn't bring the noise as they did the first time. In fact, since then they have got progressively ridiculous and completely lame. But that's just me.


So now they're touring the world, wank, wank, talking a language no one understands but people try and speak because 'it are lekker to be zef'. 
And then came this... "Umshini-Wam" (AKA, for the non South Africans, "Bring Me My Machine Gun". A short film by Harmony Korine, an American director, producer, screenwriter and author. Although, after seeing this film, I am a bit skeptical about the writer part of his resumé. The film is about... well, I don't actually know.
If you haven't seen it, please do. As a South African I find it pretty damn offensive. The music makes no sense, the script makes no sense, the use of the K word for no apparent reason is just uncalled for. If anyone can explain what the fuck is going on, I'd love to hear about it.


I guess after all that ranting what I have to say is that although Die Antwoord may be the shit in some places, but in others it's just plain shit.
I give Waddy Jones (Ninja) credit where it is due, he is a very clever man. And it is due for projects such as Max Normal – something that people can enjoy, understand and not lose brain capacity over. I think any South African who falls for this act is, well, musically handicapped. 


Of all the local acts in all genres of music, is this really the best thing we have?






5 comments:

  1. Nicely put bro....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok i am actually sad that i just watched that whole video, WTF was i thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thanks for ruining my day :-)

    That has to be the worst thing i have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least I'm not the only one who lost 15 minutes of his life..
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Of all the local acts in all genres of music, is this really the best thing we have?" that says it all

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHAHA. I love it! Perfectly put!!!

    ReplyDelete