Monday, May 30, 2011

The Ghost Inside SA Tour: One Of The Coolest Things I Have Ever Done

Last week my band (Facing the Gallows) along with The Dead Will Tell and Truth And It's Burden hit up a nice, long SA tour with USA band The Ghost Inside. It was a tiring week to say the least, but the amount of stonage/ drunkage/ food/ good times overpowered the extreme tiredness like a small child.
Usually when a touring band comes to SA they play all over and the local bands fill in the opening slots in their respective slots. Which I think is cool... to an extent. On this tour, things were done different or perhaps properly. Three South African bands taking the touring band around the country, like a tour should be.
I can honestly say that this was the greatest thing I have done in my band life so far. It may sound strange, but for once I felt like I was a part of something. Usually a band plays a show or festival and you're kind of shunted around and given half-ass instructions and an estimated time slot. You may even get a free bottle of water. On this tour everyone worked as a team – an awesome team. We had long sleepless nights, heavy gear to carry, hangovers to deal with and car break-ins but we all did our bit and make it fucken awesome.


I think of the whole thing, touring with a band you've listened to for years and taken their lyrics to heart. The chance to see how the person who writes those lyrics is as a person, not just an assumption based on their writings. And although they tour the world with other bands just like that – they are normal people. We're all normal people. The only difference is, they aren't from here.


I guess this is a pretty shinfo post to some people, but my mind and life has changed. I see life and people differently. And I have Ashley, Niekie, Calvin, Dale, Lloyd, Richard, Spencer, Jeremy, Benjamin, Chase, Bryan, Ray, Victor, Jim, Aaron, Andrew, Jonathan, Zach and Brian to thank for that. Thank you, guys.


Facing the Gallows and The Dead Will Tell at the Fish River bridge. I promise, the river is there.

1 comment:

  1. Aw! One of the coolest things I've ever watched! That Fish River photo is the best! :D

    ReplyDelete