Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Ten Question With A Cool Person: Brendan Jack (Photographer)


With all the "photographers" out there it's hard to break through the crusty layer of happy-snappy picture takers and get to the juiciness that is good photography. Brendan Jack is at the soft centre ready to explode in and around your mouth with his fantastic work. 


I have ad the privilege of working with Brendan and he is nothing short or a gentleman and a scholar. His amazing ability to take a vague idea and turn it into a masterpiece is one that very, very few people have.
I asked his ten questions about stuff. And this is what he answered.


Chantelle loves giant balls...
Cadillac (C): Why are you a photographer?

Brandan Jack (B): Initially I just kind of stumbled into it through a graphic design course I was doing. Now it's a creative outlet and a vain attempt to elevate the standard of what people will accept as good enough. That's not to say my work is any better than anyone else's (it certainly falls far short of where I'd like it to be), it's just that there seems to be an overwhelming amount of people who are satisfied with mediocrity. I've always felt that I'd rather be told my work is shite by a viewer with high standards than be told it's fantastic by someone without.

C: Have you had any strange requests for photo shoots?

B: Not really but I suppose that's relative. I did go through a period involving mutilated teddy bears and half naked girls; actually, maybe I'll revive that...

C: What do you do when you don't take photos?

B: Some of my closest friends have referred to me as a "miserable bastard"… I prefer to see myself as "home-body". I'm usually at home hanging out with my awesome little family, watching as the mighty Arsenal repeatedly disappoint me, buying more DVDs I don't have time to watch and books I don't have time to read or editing pics. For work I handle licensing, royalties and contracts for a music and entertainment solutions company.

C: What made you decide on pin-up photography?

B: I don't know that I'd strictly call myself a pin-up photographer, even though it's something I love, but I suppose it's because of the influence of one of my favourite artist, Gil Elvgren. Also, I think the models and actresses from the '50s were lovely!

C: Do you have any other passions/ hobbies?

B: I play beach volleyball and I recently started golfball-whackery at the driving range and that's quite rad, despite the fact that I'm crap at it.

C: Tequila or bong?

B: Anyone who knows me knows how hard I don't party, that said... bong.

C: What one thing/person do you want to photograph before you die? If you ever die...

B: That's an impossible choice, but for the sake of this interview, I'll partake in this ridiculousness. The one person I would most like to photograph is Wyle E. Coyote.

C: If you could magically change from your life to someone or something else's, who would it be and any?

B: I don't know... maybe the Pope so I could put on my hat, walk out onto the balcony and tell the thronging hordes it's all make believe.


Brendan's dog/child, Frank
C: Are you a cat or dog person?

B: Dogs are better than cats. This is science. You cannot argue with science. Also, I have the best dog in the world, his name is Frank Oz the Cheese-Eating Surrender-Monkey, but we just call him Frank.

C: What is the next step in your epic plan to take on the world?

B: I plan to pull my thumb out of my bum and start shooting more regularly. Once I've got a decent collection of pics together, I'll start a new Facebook page or something. Not really a plan as much as a vague idea is it?


Keep a look out for Brendan's rereleasing of himself soon! You will not be disappointed. Especially if you like naked girls...


A pic from a shoot Brendan did with my band
Pestroy!

Tanya having a little pants party

No comments:

Post a Comment