Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ten Questions With A Cool Person - Balz (Motionless in White)


Yes. I'm back with more useless questions to cool people!


Every so often I'll find a band that I fucken love, and I'll listen to that band until I know every word, drum fill or riff on the album until I kill it or until I find another cool band. But that's not to say that once killed I never listen to the band again. I do. A lot. My most recent band kill is Motionless In White. When I first heard the band I imagined a 5 piece, all dressed kinda jocky, but still metal band-like. I was pleasantly surprised when I Googled images of the band and found them all painted up. I thought it was the raddest thing ever. And I still do. I love any band that does things a little different. I wish more bands would!

I thought it would only be fitting to contact the band and see if I could get a few questions in. I sent an interview mid their recently completed European tour, so it was a lucky draw to see who I would get answers from. The bands keyboardist Josh Balz got back to me with his answers about not giving a fuck and food. And a champ he is!


Cadillac (C): So I've caught you mid tour. How is/was Europe this time around?

Balz (B): Europe was great! We got to experience and see things people don't even do in an entire lifetime. Only thing I hated was that they didn't put meatballs on my spaghetti in Italy!


C: What is your favourite place in the world?

B: Home (Pennsylvania), because it's where all my family is, and most of my friends.



C: What is the tastiest thing you've ever eaten?

B: Human Flesh! No I wish. A food chain called Chipotle.


C: What is the best venue to play? Ever.

B: Ever? Impossible question to answer. I have a lot of favourite venues, but as long as they trick us good it's immediately one of my favorite places to play.


C: For anyone who has only heard Motionless In White, they'd expect you to look like any other metal band. What made you guys decide to go for the dark, gothic look?

B: It really was a sit down at a table decision. Believe it or not most of us have looked like this forever and have always been the outcasts in school or around town. I was the only kid in my school who wore tight black jeans and shirt.



C: Do you think people take image too seriously rather than just listening to and loving the music?

B: ...Yes.


C: Did you guys ever try get where you are or did it just happen by series of cool events?

B: Everyone tries to get somewhere, but to get this far is unbelievable! We didn't expect to get anywhere near where we are now, but I guess the good part is we're all still the same people from the beginning. We're very humble and appreciate everything we have.


C: South Africa is slowly building a name for its self on the international scene. 
Slowly... Do you think it is a place that could be visited more often?

B: We've had some sick tours! I'd love to tour there, our friends toured there and said it was one of the best trips of their lives!


C: Tequila or bong?

B: Chicken wings.


C: What's next for Motionless In White

B: Lots to come but where it goes nobody knows!


And there you have it. My newest favourite band. Check out the video for the track Abigail and get their latest album, Creatures. Stay cool!



1 comment: