Thursday, November 19, 2015

How International Men's Day Should Probably Work

I clicked on the "International Men's Day" trend on twitter earlier, and while there were some tweets celebrating men and what not there were a lot of angry, revengeful tweets against the celebration of the day.

Now I'm well aware of the world and how things in society are and I agree with the difficulties women face on a daily basis, but are we not all fighting for equality in some form? Why is a day like today being used as a vessel of negativity?  Again, I understand why, but that kind of mentality doesn't make it easy for men or people in general.

I believe I have achieved some great things on my own as a man, but after seeing some of those tweets I don't want to talk about it in fear that I'll be lambasted by an army of women's right tweeters. I feel like it's almost become frowned upon to celebrate yourself as a man. 


So, instead of bashing International Men's Day why can't we all work towards encouraging men to fight for a common cause - women's rights. At the same time also let men celebrate their personal victories without schooling them on the daily hardships women face. We know, or at least I do. 

Now before you get all anti on this, remember that equality works for everything and everyone. I believe that talking down on someone and speaking angrily and even sarcastically on such a topic is not the correct approach. Open, honest and calm conversation is the way to go. I am willing to do what I have to to help those in need, but at the same time I am also human and have shit to deal with albeit more minor shit than others.

Long story (which you already ready, sorry) short - Don't be kak be lekker. If we encourage people to work together towards a common cause rather than confront them things will be a lot easier and maybe even move faster.

The world is overflowing with negativity and rage. This needs to stop. 

"Man" and "woman" both contain the word "man" because we are all human. Lame but true. 

I don't know, it's just an idea. 

3 comments:

  1. I guess the primary reason it's frowned upon to celebrate being a man, is due to the kind of traits we have, over the years, taught ourselves to associated with manliness.
    Obviously it's no hard and fast rule, and there are certainly ways not to, but often a celebration of being a man involves some types of behaviours that are harmful to other people.

    I don't think a Man's day is necessary in the same way that Women's day is, but I don't think it is an inherently harmful idea either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Social media is where the few shout, thinking they're speaking in behalf of the many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete