Thursday, August 11, 2011

Kids in the Kruger

While everyone was losing brain cells and having a party at Oppikoppi, I spent some quality time in the Kruger Park with the family and cousins from Italy. I love it in the bush, Africa is ruthless and awesome at that.


On our last day in the park we trekked to a picnic area to have a picnic. As one does. We were there for about 20 minutes when three bus loads of school kids rocked up.
We sat back to see what would go down as some 200 kids from Maphuphe Jr Primary School sprant (sprinted) into the picnic area. The five or so teachers that were controlling the kids lined them up and started taking individual pictures of them.
My girlfriend, Indianna, decided to help the teachers out by taking pics of some of the kids for them. I picked up my camera and started shooting from a distance.
These kids were awesome. The moment they saw the camera they all started shouting, "Me! Me! Me!" and wanted to be in every pic.





When I tried to show them the pics I had taken I was swarmed, and within seconds I was at the bottom of a dog pile.






I've never seen a bunch of kids be so amped on life before. They came from a rural village in Northern SA, they came out pretty much to take photos of the kids.
No matter where I stood they knew I was taking photos and were ready with poses and funny gestures. After spending an afternoon with them I realised that life is actually really awesome, and no matter where you're from or what you do, there are so many small things in life that make it worth it.

We were made to love. So let us love each other hard!

















2 comments: