Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ten Questions With A Cool Person: Frank Turner


So here it is, guys. The thing I was talking about... Ten Questions With A Cool Person. Today, we start
with (drum roll please) Frank Turner!

Since the day I discovered the mighty Frank Turner I could not help but listen to his albums and think back on life and say to myself, "I totally know what he's talking about".

His background of punk and hardcore hits many a soft spot with me, and his songs weaken the knees of even the strongest of ladies.

He has dominated festivals, toured with The Offspring and Flogging Molly among others, and has just been confirmed to headline the third stage at Download 2011. So if you're there, make a plan!
I was fortunate enough to get in contact with Frank and ask him a few things about stuff. And it goes a little something like this.


Cadillac (C): You started off with your band Million Dead. What brought on the decision to go solo and acoustic?

Frank Turner (FT): Well, the band came to an unceremonious end, so I had to figure out what to do next. At the time I didn't want to be in a band anymore, and I was a little tired of playing hardcore music, so I thought I'd try something very different on my own. Pretty quickly I felt like I'd found my niche in life, and I haven't looked back since.


C: Did you ever think that by going solo you would be headlining festivals and touring the world?

FT: Um... maybe I hoped, but not expected. I wasn't sure anyone would get it at first. I'm grateful every day that I get to do what I do.

C:Is South African an option?

FT: I would love nothing more than to play in SA. Know any promoters out there?

C: What was your reaction to The Offspring's offer for you to support them on tour?

FT: I was surprised but very flattered. It was a tough tour - just me and my guitar. At the time no one in the USA knew my music, so it was a challenge. But it was good to do, and The Offspring guys are lovely.

C: Your album Love & Ire Song is pretty much the anthem of every kid growing up - Everyone can relate to your songs. Do you write from personal experience?

FT: Yeah, everything is true stories, basically. I'm not very good at making stuff up. Haha.

C: Who is the Parisian girl?

FT: A now ex-girlfriend of mine. French girls are awesome, but can be a lot of work. It didn't last. But we're friends now, which is nice.


C: You come from a proper-English family it seems. How do they feel about you playing your "rebel's music" all over the place?

FT: Ha, my parents weren't over the moon about it at first, but they've really come round to it now, which is nice. My mum comes to gigs.

C: What would you be doing if you weren't playing music?

FT: I always fancied myself as being a history teacher actually - that's my other passion in life. Who knows....

C: What is your favourite place in the world..? Ever.

FT: Very hard to say. Toronto. London. The south downs in Hampshire. I love to keep moving, seeing new places.


So there it is. The first batch of Ten Questions With A Cool Person. Stay tuned for more!
If there is a cool person you'd like to see here drop a mail to ricki.allemann@gmail.com and I will do my best to hunt them down for you.


image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/frf_kmeron/4500949176/

4 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME!!!
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE frank turner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my nigga. Makes me badly wanna check this kats tunes out. Hook me up!

    Good job, Caddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Brother Bear! That's so friggen cool!
    Correct me if I'm wrong but was this the guy you played in your car for Sarah on the day of her Mums funeral? It was such a tragically happily perfect song for the moment? I wanna get more of his stuff from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shane!
    This is him indeed! I will share all with you!
    Man loves to you!

    ReplyDelete